Saturday, September 23, 2017

Cranking out the News in Education pages

Following are 3 one-page Classroom Connection pages I did for the Deseret News. All were published in the Newspaper.


Invasion of Poland

With all the craziness going on in our world it's easy to forget the catastrophes of long ago. I was asked to do this one-page on the invasion of Poland. I hope what I chose to focus on really helps anyone see a snippet of history on this hugely key event in our worlds history.

Detail of the headline


Hard-hitting graphic on the human cost of war

Especially prod of this one. Did a bunch of research to put this one together. Hope I got it right

All about Humpback Whales

Love whales, their grace, uniqueness and size. Decided to do an NIE on Humpbacks. Found out these creatures are born weighing about a ton, and reach maturity in only 10 years! For how large they are, I find that amazing.

Detail of 2 of the graphics

Detail showing the cutout work made with photoshop, then laid out in InDesign

Hurricanes

I did this quickly and on the spur of the moment, thinking it would be timely with all the hurricanes hitting islands and U.S. coasts. Most of the graphics are direct re-makes. The graphic in the lower left, with its small illustrations are of my devising. The 3D illustration in the bottom right graphic was created using Illustrator and Blender 3D.


Detail of graphic with original illustrations depicting the devastation of different hurricane intensities


No comments:

Post a Comment

Bison Study Aug 2024

  Final Digital painting by Aaron Thorup. Purchase a Print . I started this particular study sometime last year. A good friend gave me an ar...

Other Popular Posts