Friday, October 30, 2015

Illustration of my Grandpa Thorup



Desire for traditional art project begins

In Early summer this year I felt it was time to get my art studio back up and running. my drawing table had been languishing in the garage for at least 4 years. Every time I pulled the van into the garage I would see it sitting their, gathering dust and cob webs.

For a while it didn't bother me.

Then, Grandpa died, I finished school and that began to change. Sifting through the hundreds of digital images I have taken over the years, I came across a photo I took of my Grandfather at my brother Jacob's wedding in 2005.

I thought to myself, "Ya, know that is a great image of grandpa. If I ever get the chance I would like to take  crack at making an illustration out of this."

Having completed a digital illustration for my wife in spring, my desire to do something traditional had grown. My desire to do something to truly honor my Grandfather's memory had also grown.

I finally set myself to the task

As I cleaned and organized the studio (It was in complete disarray) I became more and more excited. After much shifting, sweeping and chucking, the studio was ready for some good ole fashioned traditional art.


The video below documents over a 3 month period the study sketches and the final Illustration. I hope in some small way I have honored his memory. I hope by the way I live my life over many years, I will honor him for all he tried to teach me.



Here also is a link to the Hi resolution image for any relatives who would like to get a nice print done of the illustration depicted above. Just click on the download icon at the top of the page.
It is of sufficient detail that it can be printed at full size of the original (18x24) 

No comments:

Post a Comment