Friday, August 2, 2024

Vanilla Sky, a Digital Painting

Stats: 

Canvas size: 4200x3300 pixels
Brush: Custom-made paint brush (Krita RGBa)
Program: Krita 
Reference: Photo taken by me

I snapped the reference photo for one of my wife's pet geckos in March of this year. I loved the look, lighting and pose so much, I decided to paint this as an exercise. As I progressed I decided to execute a fully rendered digital painting

Reference Photo of Vanilla Sky
Reference Photo of Vanilla Sky

As always using Krita and the custom brushes within the program are amazing. The interactive feel, that balances smudging and applying paint all within the same stroke, feels so natural and intuitive.

Below are a few detail images at 100% zoom.


Detail at 100% zoom

Detail at 100% zoom


Progression animation



Finished digital painting.

Printed and submitted to the Utah County Fair

I liked the print so much I decided to enter the image into the Utah County Fair in Open Class: Graphic Arts. Decided to title the piece 'What ever you do, don't stare!' Felt really good to see my image hanging in a gallery of some kind, even if it was among hundreds of other art pieces.

Printed and framed image as seen at the Utah County Fair.

Thoughts

I really enjoyed the process of painting and printing. Every time I look at the print, I get good feelings. This feels like an image I could look at over and over and not get tired of having it on my wall. Definitely can't say that about everything I have produced. Something else I love about this piece is the size of it. the reality of the creature portrayed is that she is only about 4.5 inches long. What I have produced is a portrait that speaks to something greater than she really is. And that is OK, because all creatures on this Earth are great and beautiful in their own way. This image, I feel, magnifies the beauty of this creature, a creature worth admiring and recognizing.

Puchase a print 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bison Study Aug 2024

  Final Digital painting by Aaron Thorup. Purchase a Print . I started this particular study sometime last year. A good friend gave me an ar...

Other Popular Posts