Saturday, September 14, 2024

Bison Study Aug 2024

 

Final Digital painting by Aaron Thorup. Purchase a Print.

I started this particular study sometime last year. A good friend gave me an art book called Painting Wildlife TEXTURES Step by Step, by Rod Lawrence. This book highlighted using a technique of gradually layering the paint to build up the details. The idea of applying the same techniques to a digital painting intrigued me.


In my search to find a decent reference image, I came across a photo I snapped of a taxidermized bison at the Bean Museum. My initial goal was to simply create the eye and surrounding fur. The technique worked better than I anticipated, and I decided to render the entire head of the buffalo. Naturally I was side-tracked and lazy about finishing it up. I finally got around to completing this last August.

When I began this painting, I was using Affinity Photo as my primary painting program. Over that last year I have been using Krita more and more due to it having more dynamic and advanced options for simulating what I consider to be the most natural experience in digital painting available, for free. Despite this, I chose to complete this painting in Affinity Photo. While not quite as good as Krita, some of the brushes I have generated in that program are not bad.

Below are some screen grabs of parts of the illustration and 100% and an animation showing the progression of the digital painting.





Puchase a print  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Bison Study Aug 2024

  Final Digital painting by Aaron Thorup. Purchase a Print . I started this particular study sometime last year. A good friend gave me an ar...

Other Popular Posts